Moises Caicedo continues to be heavily linked with a move to Chelsea following a meteoric rise to superstardom at Brighton
Chelsea have reportedly set a deadline to complete the signing of Moises Caicedo. The 21-year-old has been heavily linked with a move to Stamford Bridge this summer as Mauricio Pochettino looks to further bolster his midfield options.
football.london understands that the Blues have already had three bids for Caicedo rejected, but they remain confident they can secure his signature. It’s believed that Brighton are determined to keep the Ecuador international unless their £100million valuation is met.
While the west Londoners continue to negotiate a fee with Brighton, football.london understands that Caicedo has verbally agreed personal terms over a potential transfer – but nothing has been signed yet. As talks prolong with the new Premier League season just around the corner, Chelsea have broadened their search for an alternative defensive midfielder.
In fact, according to The Telegraph, the Blues are preparing a fourth bid for Caicedo and they’re hoping to secure his signature before the start of the new Premier League season. Chelsea will welcome Liverpool to Stamford Bridge on Sunday , August 13, as both sides hopes to get off on the right foot.
While the west Londoners have welcomed plenty of exciting new players to Cobham training ground this summer, Todd Boehly is still yet to gift Mauricio Pochettino a No.6. Interestingly, Brighton have reignited speculation that a deal for Caicedo is close after he was omitted from the matchday squad to face Rayo Vallecano – the Seagull’s final pre-season friendly.
“Moises had a slight hamstring injury late in training and was pulled out for that reason,” said the Brighton CEO Paul Barber, as quoted by Ben Jacobs. “With a Premier League season just a week away it makes no sense to risk him today.
“We’re looking forward to Moises starting the season with us, he’s a Brighton player under a long-term contract. He’s probably one of the most exciting young midfield players in the world at the moment and we’re delighted to have him.”
Following Chelsea’s clash against Borussia Dortmund in the United States earlier this month, Pochettino was asked if he wants any new faces in midfield. He replied: “No, I told you that we need to improve in all the areas. I am happy with the midfield but we also need to improve this area.”
Then, before the Newcastle United tie, Pochettino said: “It depends on the situation of different players. We need at least one more and we are working on that. It depends on what happens in the next few weeks. We will decide and take our decision.”