Ousmane Dembele has rejected a final contract extension offer from Barcelona, the 25-year-old is out of contract at the Catalan giants at the end of the month
Chelsea are said to be in advanced talks to sign the French international forward
French forward Ousmane Dembele has reportedly rejected a final offer from Barcelona with his deal due to expire at the end of the month.
The 25-year-old is said to be in advanced talks with Premier League side Chelsea as he continues to snub the Catalan giants after months of contract negotiations.
The France winger has failed to live up to expectations in Catalonia since completing a £120million switch from Borussia Dortmundin 2017, with a series of fitness and discipline issues derailing his Nou Camp stint.
Despite his issues since arriving in Spain, he had very much broke his way into the team in the final stages of the season under boss Xavi, but that has made little difference to his decision.
According to journalist Santi Ovalle on the Cadena Ser show ‘Que t’hi jugues,’ the French forward has rejected the last offer made by the Catalan club.
Per the same information, Barca will not make a new proposal, so Dembele is set to walk away for free when his contract expires at Camp Nou on June 30.
The Catalan giants are said to have been aware that Dembele would reject a new deal for a number of weeks – despite even offering him a one-year contract extension with a £8.67million release clause.
Instead, his agent is in advanced talks with Chelsea, after boss Thomas Tuchel identified the Frenchman, whom he previously worked with at Dortmund, as one of his top transfer targets heading into the summer window.
The Chelsea boss is in need of attacking reinforcements amid doubts over the futures of several current players, including Romelu Lukaku, Christian Pulisic and Timo Werner.
Dembele registered 32 goals and 34 assists in 150 appearances for Barca, winning two Spanish titles and as many Copa del Reys.